Monday, April 9, 2018

The fireplace for the living room

I'd given you a first glimpse of the fire place when I'd showed you the beams last week:


This fireplace is based on a combination of tutorials from JS Miniatures and Manual 'the Handyman', to which I've added my own idea's here and there :)
Like the bricks from egg carton I'd made, instead of brick like wallpaper. Underneath is a layer of grey acryl structure paint.

I worked on the back and the sides pieces at the same time,
so the rows would be level.

My ruler acted as a mason's line; a guide for setting bricks in
perfectly straight rows :)

I cut the sides that would be glued to the back at a
45-degrees angle.

Because the top part will be placed a bit downward, I did the
layers of bricks on the side parts upwards in the same angle.


Top view showing assembly

Back and side panel glued in place. Also
 remembered the wires for the campfire in time :)

In the meantime I'd  painted some thin card board (from a
pizza box ^^) with Gesso and gave it a little bit of structure
with a scourer. Once everything had dried I glued the
beams to it.

Testing if everything - ceiling, beams and
fireplace would fit.

Well, barely, and very carefully, but it did :)

Of course I should have put the wires
throught the opening in the wall first (a)

Testing the fire obviously required a chair :)


And even Harry couldn't resist it. It already
reminded him a bit of the Burrow, he told
me ;) I'm in a very happy place atm <3





No comments:

Post a Comment