Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Craft of the Month: a new challenge

A few weeks ago Jolinda had told me about another (Dutch) FB group Actieve Poppenhuisforum where they organise a monthly challenge that sounded like fun. So I've joined the group and decided to give this month's challenge a shot :)

You were supposed to make something with the following 5 materials:
1. fabric
2. card board
3. beads
4. nails
5. wool

You had to pick at least three materials. Two were optional or could be changed in something else. Paint and glue was free to use.

The materials reminded me of a tutorial for an arm chair I'd seen in last month's doll house magazine (P&M no. 154). I knew Wil wanted to make that chair as well, so we met last sunday to craft :)

We'd each cut the different parts out of card
board before we met to save some time. It took
me an embarrassing amount of time to figure
out how to put them together. In my defence:
the instructions weren't anything but clear ;)

I had a great afternoon with Wil working on the
arm chair. We covered the card board parts
with fabric and managed to put almost
everything together before she left.

I chose a nice off white fabric for the
arm rest and the front ...

...and a deep red embroidery thread as trim.

Even without cushions and legs it already
looks very comfortable :)

Measuring fabric for the cushions.

No sewing thread allowed, so (textile) glue it is.

Three layers of fiberfill seemed comfy enough.

Checking the length before closing the cushion.

Made the legs from card board (3 layers),
painted and varnished them.

Et voila :) I'm glad I choose nails instead
of beads in the end.

Despite the touches of red, I think it looks
neutral enough to serve as a background for
most of my plant hangers and cross stitched
pillows. Especially since I can change the
floral cushions for some with plain fabric.





4 comments: