Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Nightgowns and Dutch foot stoves

Making a nightgown and a cap for a 12th scale doll can be challenging, especially when the only item of clothing you've made so far is a wizard cloak.
However, if it's a birthday present for a good friend, you'll give it a shot anyway :)
But when the doll can't try the nightgown every now and then, because he's living across the pond; when he's handmade and isn't exactly on scale, and when he even doesn't have feet (yet), it becomes nearly impossible ;)
But after starting over and over for a couple of times, I finally figured out a design (based on the picture I'd gotten) :)

My third attempt :)

Still too wide (a)

Finally sewed all seams, for the hemming
I'll use textile glue.

Deciding on the trim.

Looks very big, but Harry isn't very tall xD

Draco only wanted to model the cap. Once!
Because it messed his hair too much :D

Footless or not, I also made some slippers
and a foot stove to rest his ... uh ankles ;)

Final touch; two snap fasteners at the back, to make sure
it'll fit a British wizard.


When I get pictures of the elderly British wizard, I'll definately show them but for now ...

I convinced Harry to model one more time
be putting a nice armchair in the scene ...

...though he complained about the fact that I
gave him a book but then forgot to hand
him his glasses :')


After my friend had received the parcel,  I discovered that a foot stove isn't very common in Brittain, so I had to explain that it isn't a little table :)
A foot stove consists of a wooden box which is open on one side, with holes at the top. In it, a bowl made of pottery or metal with burning charcoal was placed. The feet were positioned on top of the stove to become warm. By putting a blanket or clothing on the legs the heat could be isolated and the lower legs were heated.
I also didn't know that it's a typical Dutch foot warmer. I remember my grandparents having them (not sure my parent did at one time), so it's nice to learn more about it accidentally.
So, I'd like to share that infomation of course.


Dutch foot stoves
 Mid-17th century paintings with women using 
foot warmers of the fire pot in wooden box kind. 
All by Dutch artist van Brekelenkam.

The Dutch used to be known for a certain kind of foot warmer found alongside other household furniture: a pierced box with an earthenware or metal pot holding glowing coals inside. They called it a stoof (stove) and you can see it in countless paintings from the 17th century on, like this one by Cornelis de Man c1670.
These foot stoves were also common in northern Germany. A stone slab was an alternative to the wooden top with holes. Similar foot-warming “boxes” were known in other countries too: see this French chaufferette. In Britain open fires were the most popular way of warming yourself indoors and foot warmers were not much used in the home, but some craftspeople had an earthenware pot of coals for heating their workshop, and this might be placed under a footstool.
Foot warmers are visible in the paintings, but they could be completely hidden under a long skirt or cloak. They were used more by women than men. Did men’s boots keep them warmer?
 Typically Dutch foot warmer (top) without its inner pot. 
Also a foot-warming "stove" from Northern Germany 
with stone top. Photos by Johan and Nyks

No comments:

Post a Comment