Monday, August 21, 2017

Doors for the Hogsmeade Cottage

After I finished the first set of windows, it became real quiet around the cottage.
I did manage to make a door and felt quite proud about that, even though I'd forgotten to add a treshold, and I couldn't open it more than a few centimeters before the tiny nails came loose.



And then summer (holiday) started, and the 1:1 world got a bit hectic when my son suddenly decided to move to the place where he's going to study after all :')
So, with everything settled down, I thought it was the right moment to continue this house building project (a)
But I needed to figure out the problem with the door first. Well, it turned out to be a rather silly mistake; my hinges were on the outside on the door instead of in between the door and the frame.
My second attempt was better, still on the wrong side of the door, but in the end I finally got the idea :)


Unfortunately, the door didn't look very decent after all the alterations, so, I decided to start from scratch.




  Both sides are now in one piece and I can slide it in the opening after staining it.




I also made a different door. It's based on the doors in my own old house so I hope it'll fit a cottage too ^^

The only question is, do I choose the doors closed or with a little window, or maybe solid for bathroom and bedroom on the firstfloor/attic, and open for the living room and kitchen below. (I have both in my home)


So, though I'm still not sure about those hinges, I feel more confident about getting the job done :)

P.S. A tutorial from 1inchminisbykris had got me started with the jamb and the frame of the door, though I had to make lot of changes in the end. Her door opening was 1 cm, mine 4 mm, she used cardboard instead of Balsa, and ... she used pin hinges instead of real hinges. And that's why I forgot the treshold and placed the hinges the wrong way at first :')
But the tutorial was still very usefull!






No comments:

Post a Comment